We’ve reinvented the AIM app to provide a cleaner, richer experience that is simpler to use and designed for the latest iPhone and iPad.
AIM is a great way to keep in touch with friends and family no matter where they are. Start or join a group chat, send voice messages, share images and your location, and continue conversations between devices seamlessly.
• Say goodbye to paying for text messages with the AIM app. Send and receive messages to any mobile number* • Start a conversation on one device and pick it back up on another without missing a message • Chat with a friend or a group of friends with the "New Chat" button • Customize your groups with features like add/remove members, edit group icon and mute • Favorite your friends and group chats for instant access • Share photos, voice messages and your location without leaving the conversation • Copy and paste messages with ease • Tap on location previews in your conversation to get directions • Tap on icons to quickly view user details or group chat settings • Turn on ‘Do Not Disturb’ to turn off sounds and push notifications • Set 'Quiet Hours' to mute sounds and push notifications for when you don’t want to be disturbed • Change your incoming message sound in sound settings • 3D Touch enabled for supported iPhones - Force press the app icon to view shortcuts
Thank you very much for your feedback. We have been busy fixing bugs and making improvements based on your latest contributions! The highlights included in this version are:
- Brought back the presence indicator in the chat window
- Reduced the size of the message bubbles
- Fixed bug where auto correct was not working when pressing the send button
- Fixed bug where the contacts were not being grouped by online/offline
- Fixed bug where the Send button was moving up
- Fixed issue were the time stamp was not showing up for the first message of the day
- Additional redesigned screens for iOS 7
- Additional performance improvements
6.0.0 (Jun, 2014)-
• New and improved iOS 7 redesign • Improvements around connectivity detection and reconnect logic • Stability and performance enhancements • Bug fixes
• Loading chats is much speedier
• Fixed sounds not playing issue
• Fixed chat history not always loading issue
• Fixed crash seen when tapping between chats
• Fixed freeze on first sign in
• And more performance enhancements
5.1.4 (Nov, 2013)-
5.1.3 (Sep, 2013)-
• Fixes crash seen by some when opening a new chat
• Fixes bug where app sometimes freezes after signing in
• Bug fixes in support of upgrading your OS
• Stability and performance enhancements
5.1.2 (Aug, 2013)-
New • Skies are sunny and blue • Everyone's favorite friend, the Running Man, is back • Now, easier to add friends and feeds from your favorite networks • Edit more of your profile from within the app • Forgetful? Access to change your password from sign in • Speedier and more reliable
Fixes • Signing in with Facebook account for some users • Deleting a contact in your list when list is sorted by availability • Switching from settings to recent chats when unread chats are waiting • Chat history remains on your device for messages not logged in the cloud • Selecting a recent chat sometimes opened the wrong chat • Edit button sometimes disappeared in header bar • Other minor fixes around cleaning up history and contact lists
5.1.1 (Mar, 2013)-
• Fixed issue where conversation histories were not being saved for some chats • Fixed issue where some conversations were being mistakenly marked read • Fixed issue where confirming email after registration ended in error
5.1.0 (Feb, 2013)-
What’s new in version 5.1.0: • NEW! Get updates from Facebook, Instagram and AIM in one easy to navigate window • NEW! Comment and like Facebook and AIM posts right from the app • NEW! Use AIM to post your status to Facebook or compose your Tweet • Fixed bugs with incorrect message counts and notifications, YouTube videos not playing in chat, crashes, and other minor fixes • Enhanced performance
5.0.9 (Nov, 2012)-
What's New in v5.0.9:
• Custom groups are back! If you set up buddy groups in previous versions of AIM, your contacts will now be sorted using them.
• More flexible chat storage options. Keep chats private between you and some of your contacts or choose to keep them ALL off the record.
• Lots of bug fixes
• Performance enhancements
5.0.8 (Sep, 2012)-
5.0.7 (Jul, 2012)-
Fixed issue where users were seeing dropped messages
5.0.6 (Mar, 2012)-
* Fix for missing messages issue that some users were seeing
5.0.5 (Mar, 2012)-
Love sharing photos and your location in your conversations? This release includes a whole new way to share a part of your personality with the new share voice message feature. Record up to 60 seconds of your voice or some other audio, name it if you want to save it for future use, or just use it as is for a quick way to chat without having to type!
Some fun ways to use the new voice message feature:
* Record baby's first words and send it to your family group chat. * Sing happy birthday to your best friend. * Annoy your coworkers by sending your rendition of the nom nom song. * Make your hipster friends jealous with your live recordings when you're at an Arcade Fire concert. * Owe your boyfriend more than just a breakup text? Send him a voice message! * Whisper sweet nothings to your new boy toy.
It's totally up to you how you want to express yourself. Have fun with it!
We've also fixed several bugs in this release, which includes a bug where some messages were not showing up due a smiley in the message and a user reported issue where some messages were showing out of order.
5.0.4 (Feb, 2012)-
* Invite your friends to join AIM in Add Contacts.
* Push badges now clear out when you sign out.
* Fixed bug where users were seeing their messages out of order.
* Fixed user reported crashes and bugs.
5.0.3 (Jan, 2012)-
* Improved VoiceOver and accessibility behaviors. * Improved performance when launching the app from the background. * Start a Chat will now also respect the "Sort by Presence" setting. * Easily share your last photo or screenshot taken with the new "Use Last Photo Taken" option. * Do Not Disturb and Group Chat mute preferences are now saved even if you sign out and back in. * Added ability to see if someone is typing a response. * Updated default incoming message sound. You can still choose the old default sound by choosing "Blip" in your sound settings. * Added a new "Ukulele" sound option. Try it out in your sound settings! * Fixed several user reported crashes and bugs.
5.0.2 (Dec, 2011)-
Thanks for trying out the new AIM. We appreciate all the feedback and suggestions we've received and are working hard on making improvements to give you the best experience.
* See who's online by sorting your contacts by presence in your settings tab
* Talk about yourself in the third person by sending messages starting with /me
* Improvements to performance
* Localized in French, Japanese and Spanish
* Bug fixes
5.0.1 (Nov, 2011)-
AIM has evolved. We've redesigned our app from the ground up to give you the best way to keep in touch.
• Never miss a message No matter where you are, AIM now stores and syncs your message history so you won't miss a thing. You can always take conversations "off the record" if you'd like
• Party (or plan) Chat with friends or collaborate with coworkers – AIM gives you a simple, fun way to talk and share with groups of people that matters to you most.
• Share and see it all in AIM Share photos and your location without leaving the conversation: they'll automatically appear right within AIM.
New Features: - Copy and paste messages - Set quiet hours to mute sounds and push notifications for when you don't want to be disturbed - Change your incoming message sounds - See your social notifications for activity on your AIM, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts
This is a quick update to add support for Facebook's switch to OAuth 2.0 and to fix a reconnect issue some users were seeing. We're working on a new AIM that has lots of great new functionality — stay tuned!
4.5.2 (Dec, 2010)-
• Yes, more performance improvements and bug fixes • We restored the blue status icon when your Buddies go mobile (forwarding IMs to their SMS service)
Features we released in the previous release (4.5.1) • You can now chat with your GTalk friends (and Facebook too!) • No need for Contacts Tab! Just start typing your Buddy's name on the Buddy List or New Message screen – all your contacts are there, just easier to find • Performance improvements! We're always working to make AIM faster
The AIM team reads feedback from the App Store, so please drop us a line to tell us if you have an issue or would like to suggest a new feature.
4.5.1 (Dec, 2010)-
• You can now chat with your GTalk friends (and Facebook too!) • Simplified the tabs - just start typing your Buddy's name on the Buddy List or New Message screen • Performance improvements! We're always working to make AIM faster
4.4.2 (Nov, 2010)-
• Landscape Keyboard – Yes, it's finally here. We wanted to make sure the landscape experience was just right • Redesigned Buddy List – collapse groups right in your Buddy List • Supports iOS 4's fast user switching and the new iPhone 4 Retina display (we also improved performance throughout)
4.3.5 (Aug, 2010)-
* Fixed various crashes reported by users.
4.3.4 (Aug, 2010)-
• Enhanced Twitter support: Retweet capability & character counter
• Improved performance and stability
4.3.3 (Jul, 2010)-
This update fixes problems with Facebook's new privacy permissions and updated features. It also improves picture viewing functionality in Lifestream.
4.3.2 (May, 2010)-
* You can now cross-post your location to foursquare
* Fixes for various crashes experienced by some of our users
* Improved Contact loading performance for users with large number of contacts
* Various bug fixes and performance improvements
4.3.1 (Apr, 2010)-
• Use your Facebook username and password to log into AIM on your iPhone.
• Various bug fixes and improvements to the user experience.
App Store Reviews
Gucci King, 4 stars:
H-Ga, 4 stars:
I've used aim for a few months now, and it's very good for communicating with my friends who are not on Facebook. My only complaint is that sometimes, when I send pictures, they don't show up right away, and sometimes my profile picture vanishes. But other than that, it's a very useful app!
I like that I can get my messages anywhere and can be logged in to two different devices at the same time and still get the same messages.
I wish I could use the emoticons that come with the iPhone keyboard. They show up as squares on my friends' computers.