Hangman is based on the popular word guessing game by the same name. The player guesses letters in order to uncover the hidden word. But be careful, you only have a few guesses before you're hanged!
Unlike other versions of Hangman, this one gives the player a few more guesses by building up the gallows as the player guesses, instead of having them pre-built.
Two player mode allows you and a friend to play. One person enters a word and the other tries to guess it.
Purchase more wordlists to play with from within the app.
Define a word if you don't understand it, and help yourself or your children learn new words.
Keep track of your wins / losses, and how many games you've played and earn achievements with Game Center.
Hangman includes small, unobtrusive ads to help keep it free. Advertising can be removed for a small one-time fee. Even if you remove Hangman and download it again in the future you can restore your purchases for no extra cost and remove advertising again.
Hangman will connect to the internet once, each time the game is run, in order to download it's advert, which is very very small and will take less than a second. Hangman will also need internet access if you choose to "define a word". Defining words is entirely optional.
- Fixed and issue where a purchased word list would be duplicated after downloading an updated version of a purchased wordlist
- Small UI Tweaks within the Hangman Store
- American Football Teams wordlist has been updated. "Washington Readheads" has been corrected to "Washington Redskins" and "San Francisco 49ers" has been changed to "San Francisco Forty Niners" allowing it to be completed in Hangman (free update downloadable from the Hangman Store)
1.13 (Dec, 2012)-
- Fixed a crash that would occur when running Hangman on an iPad and trying to open the In App Store.
1.12 (Oct, 2012)-
- Replaced the old dictionary system with a new one, with much better word definitions and support for plural words.
1.11 (Sep, 2012)-
- Added sounds when a letter is guessed to indicate a correct or incorrect guess. Turn them on or off in the 'About' section.
1.10 (Apr, 2012)-
- Resolved issues involved with purchasing the US Presidents word list.
- Other minor bug fixes
1.9 (Dec, 2011)-
1.8 (Jul, 2011)-
- In app purchases! -- Purchase and download entirely new wordlists to play with!
-Game Center -- Earn Achievements while you play!
- Select a difficulty from easy, medium and hard. Difficulty level changes how many guesses you have to complete the word.
- Fixed some small bugs
1.7 (Aug, 2010)-
- iAds - Spelling Corrections - Back to using Google for word definitions - Optimised for Retina Display on iPhone 4 - Optimised for iOS 4 and fast app switching
1.6 (Feb, 2010)-
- New Statistics feature - track how many games you've played and how many you've won or lost!
- Minor bug fixes to prevent crashing
- A few spelling corrections, thanks to the people who reported them!
1.5.2 (Jul, 2009)-
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when leaving the "Define" view.
- Moved the letters up from the toolbar a few points to help prevent accidental presses of the New Game and Menu buttons.
- Changed the Define functionality to use Dictionary.com. Google's word definition feature doesn't seem to working through it's mobile site anymore...
- Changed the two-player word input field to not be "secure". The word is now visible instead of being obscured like a password.
1.5.1 (May, 2009)-
- Bug fix that could cause a crash on quit.
1.5 (May, 2009)-
- Moved the placement of the advert. This should minimise accidental clicks.
- Updated the adverts system. Now if the ad is a a website ad, it'll open in a browser within the app, which means you won't leave the current game. Other types of ads (app store, movie links etc) will still quit the app unfortunately.
-Added the ability to define a word at the end of each game. Now Hangman can teach too!
1.4.1 (Jan, 2009)-
- Bug Fixes.
- Fixed some words / phrases that unintentionally contained colons or other characters that made the word unguessable.
- Chosen Wordlist is now shown on the main screen as a clue/reminder.
1.4 (Dec, 2008)-
- Lots of bug fixes and general improvements.
- Option to use alphabetical or QWERTY keyboard layouts.
- Switched back to portrait mode by popular demand.
- Ads have been placed in a less prominent area of the screen.
- Ads no longer refresh every 30 seconds. Ads are static and only change each time the app starts. Sometimes an Ad will not be displayed at all if one can't be retrieved from the server.
1.3 (Nov, 2008)-
Version 1.3 includes:
- Brand new wordlists, adding around 2000 new words in 3 new categories.
- Improved method of choosing wordlists
- App is now played in Landscape Mode to accommodate the new qwerty keyboard.
- Various bug fixes and performance improvements
- Includes small, unobtrusive ads to help keep this game free.
1.2 (Sep, 2008)-
- New Two-Player mode. Play with a friend! One person chooses a word, the other tries to guess it!
- Now 668 words to guess, spread out into 6 categories: Disney Movies, Instruments, Animals, Countries, Colours and a Generic Mix.
- Hangman now swings when he's hanged!
- Newly laid out interface, with beautiful transitions.
- Support for multiple words, allowing phrases to be used in Two-Player mode.
- Added an e-mail link, allowing easier support contact from within the App.
1.1 (Aug, 2008)-
- The buttons for each letter are now slightly larger, making them easier to press.
- Each letter now displays a red cross to indicate that it has already been guessed.
- The small info button has been replaced with a regular button. Some people were having difficulty in pressing the previous small button.
- The info page now displays the version number and a direct link to JamSoft's website for contact and support.
- Some new words have been added, bringing the word count to 230.
App Store Reviews
Bi body boo, 5 stars:
Jellyellybeanzz, 5 stars:
It's a really good game lol I beat my gurlfriend in this game a lot