*** Star Chart is now FREE! *** The top educational & augmented reality astronomy app - download and find out why over 20 million people use Star Chart!
You can now have a virtual star chart in your pocket. Look through the eyes of your iPhone or iPad* to see a high-tech window into the whole visible universe.
All you have to do is point your AR enabled device* at the sky and Star Chart will tell you exactly what you are looking at.
Using state of the art GPS technology, an accurate 3D simulation of the visible universe, and a great deal of technical wizardry, Star Chart calculates – in real time - the current location of every star, planet and moon visible from Earth and shows you precisely where they are; even in broad daylight!
Want to know what that bright star is called? Point your device* at it – you might just find out it’s a planet!
Want to know what the night sky looks like to people on the other side of the earth? Well just point your device down!
Want to know where your star sign is in the sky? Star Chart will tell you all this and more.
Star Charts features include: - Just point and view. When you hold your device up to the sky, Star Chart will automatically start tracking your movements to match the sky *.
- Alternatively, look around the sky using finger gestures – perfect for armchair astronomers!
- In a single app of less than 30MB, Star Chart dynamically scales its visuals and capabilities across all iOS devices to meet the high end capabilities of a retina display iPad while also running smoothly on the earliest iPhones and iPods.
- Accurately depicts all the visible stars of the northern and southern hemispheres - a total of approximately 120,000 stars!
- Fly to and explore all the planets of the solar system, their moons and the sun all rendered in beautiful 3D with state of the art visual effects.
- Using the powerful Time Shift feature, simply tap the time button and smoothly shift up to 10,000 years forward or backward in time.
- Displays all 88 constellations, with constellation imagery based on the beautiful artwork by 17th century astronomer Johannes Hevelius.
- Includes the complete Messier catalogue of 110 exotic deep sky objects.
- Tap on anything in the sky and get the facts on what you are looking at, including distance and brightness.
- Very powerful zoom function, lets you view the sky in extra detail, using intuitive finger gestures.
- Fully configurable. Star Chart displays only the sky objects that you are interested in.
- Allows you to view the sky underneath the horizon. So now you can see where the sun is, even at night!
- Manually set your location to find out what the sky looks like from anywhere in the world.
- Supports dynamic device orientation viewing. Allows you to view the night sky whilst holding your iPhone/iPad* at any angle.
So point your iPhone/iPad* at the sky and see what's out there!
------------ * Augmented Reality mode is available on devices that include a built-in compass. Manual scrolling is supported on all other devices.
------------ Star Chart is published by Escape Velocity Ltd and developed by Escapist Games Ltd. We update Star Chart regularly, so please send us your feedback and feature requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And thanks for all your feedback so far!
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/starchart Follow Star Chart on Twitter: StarChartApp
Many enhancements including: - Improved Sky Search Menu: tap section headings to expand/hide. - Improved calendar: "On this day.." events now appear, as well as numbered badges clearly leading you to any missed events. - Sharing has been revamped and is now contextual when an object is selected - More asteroids and comets have been included in the upgrades.
As well as all the usual optimisations and bug fixes. Enjoy!
3.73 (Dec, 2013)-
* Comet Lovejoy added to the Comets pack * Various bugs fixed including: - Shader fix for extended planets
3.72 (Nov, 2013)-
- Improved underlying Search functions.
- Updated ISS data
- Fixed corrupted Japanese localisation.
- Apparent fix of issue with some Upgrades not downloading - although we aren't sure why this broke or how we fixed it!
3.71 (Nov, 2013)-
- Fixes crash on older devices
- Fixes crash with older operating systems
3.7 (Nov, 2013)-
- Calendar (found in Search) lists upcoming astronomical events, as well as any missed notifications.
- Vastly improved 3D Comet visuals in Comet Upgrade.
- Various bug fixes, including improved localisations.
3.66 (Oct, 2013)-
- Notifications set to trigger in the evenings local time - no more being woken up!
- Fix for crash on iOS 5.11
3.65 (Oct, 2013)-
Various bug fixes and enhancements, including: - Star Chart now allows user music to be played - Pop-up's don't appear if Star Chart is launched from a URL - Fixed crash for launching from URL to missing object - Added support for Easter Eggs :)
3.61 (Sep, 2013)-
Updated ISS to use latest orbit data.
Fixes issue when selecting objects in Night Mode.
Fixes issue with searching for locations in certain circumstances.
3.60 (Sep, 2013)-
- Redesigned and updated User Interface
- Bug fixes and general enhancements
3.52 (Sep, 2013)-
- Fixes a crash some users were experiencing when selecting meteor showers. - Fixes orientation problem when using emails to share screenshots of the app. - Off-Screen arrow now works for Satellites and Comets - Better accuracy for future solar eclipse events
3.51 (Sep, 2013)-
- Fixed issue when trying to perform a search in the Location screen when certain upgrades are purchased.
- Fixed notification numbers issue
- Some translation improvements
- Performance optimisation
3.5 (Aug, 2013)-
Two much-requested new upgrades available:
- Comets: we've added some of the brightest and most famous comets in the solar system, including the new comet ISON
- Satellites: track satellites in the sky as they orbit the Earth. Includes the International Space Station, and the Hubble telescope, both of which you can travel to and explore in 3D!
- Night mode coloring has been added to the main menu, search and the information pane, so you won't lose your night-vision in the field!
- Loading time-out bug on some older devices has been fixed
3.31 (Jul, 2013)-
- Fixed potential crash bug when selecting certain constellations. - Fixed Auto-AR Mode not activating when entering Star Chart with AR Mode set to OFF. - Fixed repeated selection of stars sometimes causing a crash. - Fixed tapping tours to interrupt sometimes causing a crash. - A few memory optimisations
3.3 (Jul, 2013)-
- Ability to select Constellations by tapping on their name - Explore the brightest stars of each constellation via the constellations information pane. - Enhanced Constellations Upgrade now includes detailed Description and Myth/History. - Various bug fixes, including Support Page now opening correctly.
3.2 (Jul, 2013)-
Star Chart is better than ever! In this update we've added: - High-Dynamic-Range (HDR) camera effects - Massive improvements to the user interface - Various bug fixes and optimisations
* This version resets the preferences to the defaults in order to fix a bug - Set them back to how you like in Settings. *
3.1 (May, 2013)-
This update is for general bug fixes and polish.
3.0 (May, 2013)-
New music by Davide Rossi (Goldfrapp, Coldplay, The Verve, etc) Simpler interface: - Tap away to close data boxes. - View automatically tracks the selected object. - Select objects by tapping their label. - 3 fantastic new upgrades available*: - Extended Star Catalog - Zoom deep into the night sky and discover the faintest of suns with the Tycho-2 catalog of over 2.5 million stars. - Enhanced Constellations - 17th century artist & astronomer Johannes Hevelius' constellation artwork remastered at super high-resolution. - Enhanced Messier Catalog - Experience the beauty of the Messier Catalog uniquely remastered by our art department.
- Finally, as always many tweaks, bug fixes and optimisations.
* Some upgrades feature downloadable content, which is only available on iOS6.0 and newer.
- Support for iOS 6 - Support for iPhone 5 & iPad Mini - New in-app purchases: - Meteor Showers - Extended Solar System - New iOS 6 Share features - New location select screen - Updated Search Menu - Optimisations, Bug fixes, and other minor feature enhancements for all versions
2.2 (Jul, 2012)-
- Explore surface features and landing sites of Mars. - NASA's Curiosity Rover mission can now be followed in real-time or explored via Time-Shift. - Beautiful tours showcasing the wonders of the solar system via Search-Tours. - Enhanced the visual quality of the Earth, Neptune, Sun, Mars, Saturn and many more celestial objects. - Updated Pluto to remove incorrect visual representation. - New "Share Screenshot by E-mail" feature. - Now URLs can link into Star Chart from outside the app. - Auto detects AR based on device orientation. - Enhanced the fly-to camera to give a more cinematic experience. - Includes the moons of Uranus and Neptune. - You can now gift Star Chart to your family and friends from inside the app. - Many bug fixes, enhancements and minor features.
2.1 (Apr, 2012)-
- Optimised for retina displays on all devices - Graphically enhanced Sun - Improved orbit lines - Added plane of the ecliptic - Fixes for iOS3 & 3.1 - General improvements and polish
2.0 (Feb, 2012)-
Star Chart Version 2 - A massive update! Star Chart now features beautifully rendered 3D planets, using advanced shading techniques. - Graphically enhanced for iPad2 and iPhone 4S. Looks stunning on these new devices! - Explore the solar system: Select an object and press the 'Travel' button. - Includes the major moons of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. - Displays the orbits of the planets - Many more features, improvements and optimisations.
Star Chart is now better than ever and is still available as one universal application across all iOS devices.
- Altitude and Azimuth readouts for all sky objects.
- Fixed some minor bugs introduced in the last version:
- Timeshift feature now works properly whilst in AR mode.
- Off screen arrow points in the right direction again, regardless of interface orientation.
1.85 (Mar, 2011)-
- 'Time Shift' feature: journey forwards and backwards in time to discover what the sky has looked like throughout human history and beyond. - Various graphical and performance enhancements - Access online user guide and help through the support menu - Some minor bug fixes
1.8 (Feb, 2011)-
- Star database increased to over 100000 stars! Check out the new 'Star Settings' menu item to determine minimum star magnitude to display. - Lots of graphical enhancements. - The sky now rotates smoothly with the rotation of the Earth. - Planets brightness is now correctly rendered. - Various minor bug fixes - Localised into Simplified Chinese
1.74 (Dec, 2010)-
Some minor bugs fixed: - GPS coords, when entered manually often failed to persist through sessions. - Correction to data of Messier 46
- Fixed settings/search menu bug on iOS3.x (non-iPad) devices
1.71 (Oct, 2010)-
Fixed major bug that caused Star Chart to crash on loading for some devices! Now Star Chart is correctly configured as a Universal App.
1.7 (Oct, 2010)-
The entire Messier Catalogue of 110 deep sky objects has been added, with stunning imagery for each. Now displays the names for over 300 stars, visible as you zoom in. Common constellation names added. Many additional display options. Graphically enhanced for the iPad. Uses the iPhone 4 gyroscope and is fully compatible with iOS4.0. Enhanced user interface. Additional search options. Improved and more comprehensive translations. Various improvements and bug fixes.
1.6 (Apr, 2010)-
- Constellation imagery based on Johannes Hevelius’ 15th century work: Firmamentum Sobiescianum sive Uranographia - Improved accuracy
1.55 (Mar, 2010)-
- Sky Search feature: Now you can easily find objects in the sky from a categorized list.
- Various minor bug fixes and optimizations
- Now Star Chart is available in German, Spanish and Japanese!
1.5 (Feb, 2010)-
-Enhanced Star Rendering
-Milky Way is now visible
-Improved touch scrolling
-Various minor graphical improvements
1.4 (Feb, 2010)-
-Now selecting stars and planets will give you more detailed information about them.
-Added the ability to select your location manually, which means it now works on the iPod Touch!
-Increased zoom power - now you can pinch-zoom right into the planets and resolve their discs.
Plus various enhancements and bugfixes
1.3 (Feb, 2010)-
- Enhanced Star Rendering. The field of view affects how bright the stars appear, just like in reality. So now zooming in reveals more stars!
- Optimised loading time.
- Optimised execution. Star Chart should run at least 2x as fast as previous versions, making for a much smoother experience.
- Fixed GPS accuracy bug.