CrewNerd turns your cell phone into an on-the-water training tool in any rowing shell, canoe, kayak or dragon boat - with no wiring! With a waterproof case, you can get real-time data during your workout and even relay it to your coach.
Using the accelerometer in your device, CrewNerd is able to accurately calculate your stroke rate as well as how much bounce (vertical movement) and stern check you are producing. Speed, pace and distance are calculated via GPS.
NOTE: CrewNerd Lite works exactly like the full version but is limited to 100 strokes or 5 minutes of use each time you run the application. In CrewNerd Lite, you also have the option of eliminating the trial mode restrictions by purchasing a 30-day subscription which can be renewed indefinitely.
• Configurable display
In landscape mode there are up to six configurable data fields, and in portrait mode there are up to ten. Choose from the following: • Stroke rate • Elapsed time • Distance • Speed or pace • Average speed or pace • Heart rate • Stroke count • Interval count • Meters per stroke • Total distance • Projected time and distance • Check • Bounce • Course (direction) • Time of day
Set the top line to be double-height to make the most important data stand out. In portrait mode, the top two lines can both be made double-height.
• Custom workouts
Select from one of the provided workouts, or create your own based on distance, time or strokes. An auto-start feature starts the timer when the first stroke is taken, or you can set a “countdown” of 15 or 30 seconds before the timer starts to allow you to build up speed before starting a piece.
• Custom courses
Create custom by plotting your start and finish lines on a map. The application will start the timer automatically when you cross the start line and stop when you reach the finish. This is great for hands free operation in long distance races or for set routes you routinely use.
• Review your data
All workout data is recorded and can be reviewed on the device or exported for use with compatible desktop applications and web sites. Supported export formats: GPX, KML, TCX, and CSV. You can view a map of your workout or view an interval data chart with configurable distance markers showing split times on your phone.
• Heart rate
CrewNerd supports all Bluetooth Smart heart rate monitors.
• Live position tracking
Stream your workout data as it happens to any web browser via CrewNerd.com.
• VoiceOver support
For blind and vision-impaired athletes, CrewNerd provides audible feedback during your workouts. Configure the content and timing of the announcements to meet your needs.
• For coaches
Use custom workouts to keep your practices on target. In coach mode, you can tap anywhere on the screen to check stroke rate. CrewNerd can also be used on the iPad for a larger display.
Waterproof cases are available to protect your iPhone on the water. See our web site for more information.
CrewNerd can now upload workout data directly to TrainingPeaks.com, making it easier than ever to store and analyze your workouts. Enter your account information on the settings page and then use the new upload button on the practice summary page.
Other bug fixes.
4.24 (May, 2014)-
Fixed a bug that caused intermittent problems when trying to change the data type for a cell on the row/paddle screen.
4.23 (Apr, 2014)-
Made a cosmetic improvement on the Row/Paddle screen. The button to show the row configuration screen is now smaller on iOS 7, restoring the data fields to their original size.
4.22 (Apr, 2014)-
4.21 (Mar, 2014)-
Fixed a problem with the in-app purchases in version 4.20.
4.20 (Feb, 2014)-
NOTICE: Please don't install version 4.20. There's currently a crashing issue that's resolved in the next update, which is currently pending approval by Apple. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
CrewNerd Lite (formerly CrewNerd Free) now offers a subscription access model in addition to the free trial mode. A subscription can be purchased that removes the stroke count and time limits of the application for 30 days, and can be renewed as many times as you wish.
4.09 (Feb, 2014)-
4.08 (Feb, 2014)-
4.07 (Jan, 2014)-
* Fixed one crashing bug in the map view.
* Updated the courses.kml file with more accurate start & finish lines for the built-in races. To get the updated default file, connect to your desktop computer, launch iTunes, go to the "App" section, and remove courses.kml from the file sharing window for CrewNerd. The next time you run CrewNerd, the new default file will be installed.
NOTE: If you've made your own custom courses, be sure to save your file first and merge your courses into the new file.
4.06 (Dec, 2013)-
Made a slight revision to our distance & speed calculations based on recent field tests which showed improved accuracy in the iPhone GPS readings compared to early models. Distances will now read slightly longer and speeds slightly faster than before.
4.05 (Nov, 2013)-
CrewNerd has supported blind and vision-impaired athletes for some time now through the VoiceOver feature of iOS. This update allows sighted athletes to also get speech updates from the app without having to turn on VoiceOver. In the CrewNerd settings page, select "Speech settings". There, you can enable speech output and control the speech rate.
CrewNerd supports a short-interval announcement providing just the stroke rate, a configurable distance-based announcement, and two other announcements whose content and time interval can also be configured. Together, these settings provide a great deal of flexibility in terms of what information you receive and how often you receive it.
NOTE: this feature requires iOS 7.
4.04 (Oct, 2013)-
* Fixed a problem with setting workout distances in iOS 7.
* Fixed a problem with distance accuracy in TCX exports.
* Fixed some usability problems on the tracking page.
4.03 (Oct, 2013)-
* For iOS 7, the top navigation bars are now opaque for better visibility in bright sunlight.
* For TCX exports, added current speed (smoothed), average lap speed, and meters per stroke as additional "extension" data fields.
* For detailed CSV exports, added meters per stroke.
4.02 (Sep, 2013)-
Updates for iOS 7.
4.01 (Sep, 2013)-
* Updated the "Buy" button with the correct link for the new app name.
4.0 (Sep, 2013)-
* SpeedCoach Mobile is now known as CrewNerd!
* Added a new tracking feature that makes it easy for your coach to track your performance (and location!) in real-time during your workouts. This feature requires an internet connection so your data can be relayed through our internet service to the viewer web site at crewnerd.com.
Note: Live Tracking is a paid feature (by time) in the full application but can be evaluated at no charge in the free version.
Fixed a bug that caused inaccurate stroke rates when exporting workout data.
NOTE: This is likely to be the last update that supports iOS 4.3 and the iPhone 3GS. The next update will require iOS 5.
3.13 (Mar, 2013)-
Fixed a bug in the auto-stop feature.
3.12 (Feb, 2013)-
* Fixed a problem with stroke rate consistency on the iPhone 5. Stroke rates and stroke force data should be more reliable on other devices as well.
* Fixed a problem with the "practice elapsed time" field in exported stroke force data.
3.11 (Jan, 2013)-
? You can now configure the top one or two rows of the Row/Paddle screen to be twice the height of a normal display row (one row in landscape mode). This allows you to reduce "data overload" and make the data that's most important to you more prominent. See the new "layout settings" screen under the "Miscellaneous" settings section.
? In the advanced settings screen, the sliders now show the exact data values to make it easier to experiment with these settings and return to a previously used value.
3.1 (Jan, 2013)-
* An optional "screen lock" disables all touch input when you press "start" to begin a workout. This prevents water droplets on the screen from being interpreted as touch input during your workouts. To unlock, swipe right across the tab buttons at the bottom of the screen. To enable this feature, see the main settings page.
* A new "Projected" data field on the row/paddle screen shows your projected time in a distance interval or your projected distance during a time interval.
* Fixed an incompatibility with the Mac TrailRunner app in the TCX export data.
* Fixed a problem with charting speed & pace when the units are set to other than "meters".
* Fixed some cases in the detailed CSV export where negative elapsed times were shown, or where the time failed to advance from one data row to the next.
3.06 (Oct, 2012)-
Fixed a bug affecting new devices with a 4" display (iPhone 5 and the new iPod touch). Touch input at the bottom of the display was being ignored.
3.05 (Oct, 2012)-
View interval details as a line chart!
* Chart one or two data items of your choice against time. * Zoom and pan the left data axis using normal touch gestures. * Optional distance markers show your distance and split at configurable distance intervals (250, 500, 1000, or 2000 meters). * Variable smoothing control for stroke rate, speed, and pace. * Tap & hold on a chart line to see the data value for a specific point. * Left/right buttons let you quickly scan through multiple intervals.
Other bug fixes.
3.04 (Oct, 2012)-
* Updates for iOS 6
* Added support for iPhone 5, with a 6th data row in portrait mode
* Added VoiceOver support for vision-impaired athletes, with flexible configuration options. Most data items are now available as audible announcements at flexible time and distance intervals. See the VoiceOver section on the settings tab for more information.
* Modified the TCX export format for improved compatibility with desktop apps (e.g. Garmin Training Center) and web sites such as trainingpeaks.com.
* Other bug fixes.
3.03 (Jul, 2012)-
* Incorporated the latest HR monitoring support from Wahoo Fitness
* Several minor bug fixes
3.02 (Jun, 2012)-
Added a facility for better reporting in the event of an application crash.
3.01 (May, 2012)-
Minor updates and bug fixes.
3.0 (Apr, 2012)-
This version adds support for streaming your workouts live via MapMyTracks.com. Configure the app with your MapMyTracks account information and your position, stroke rate, and heart rate are available live, or for viewing later on.
The update interval can be set anywhere from 2 seconds for near-instantaneous tracking to 5 minutes (for best battery life). This is a great safety feature for those who row or paddle alone, especially in open-water conditions.
Other changes and bug fixes, including:
* Support for detailed CSV exports even if GPS data is unavailable (time & stroke rate only).
* Added stroke rate and heart rate to the GPX export data using the Garmin Oregon extension format.
* Fixed a crash when exporting large stroke force data files.
Added new data fields for max stroke rate and max heart rate in the current interval.
Added a new setting to enable/disable BTLE heart rate support on the iPhone 4S.
Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the app to crash on startup.
2.5 (Feb, 2012)-
* Two new options for heart rate monitoring! - On the iPhone 4S, Bluetooth Smart (BTLE) chest straps are now supported. - Also, many analog chest straps can be used now with the 60beat Heart Rate RX accessory (60beat.com).
* For detailed stroke power analysis, a new setting allows you to record your forward acceleration & deceleration throughout a practice. Data is recorded at 50 samples per second for rowing, and 100 samples per second for all paddling sports. The data can be exported (in CSV format) from the workout detail screen and charted using popular spreadsheet applications.
* Total accumulated distance is now available as a new data field on the row/paddle screen.
* In the custom workout editor, a new "Copy" button allows you to append a copy of the last interval at the end of the workout.
2.4 (Nov, 2011)-
* Tested and built for iOS 5.
* Fixed some cosmetic problems in the workout editor.
* Icons updated for retina displays.
2.3.0 (Jun, 2011)-
* Application settings can now be managed directly within the app.
* A new "stroke threshold" setting in the advanced section lets you adjust the power threshold for detecting a stroke either up or down from the default for each activity. For paddling sports with less power, this can help register strokes that would otherwise be ignored.
* Fixed a bug in the GPX and TCX export formats. Times are now specified as "local time" rather than GMT.
* Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the auto-pause feature to stop the timer incorrectly during a piece.
2.2.2 (May, 2011)-
Many coaches emphasize "distance per stroke" as a valuable measure of efficiency. Meters per stroke is now available as a new data field on the Row/Paddle screen. This is computed as an average over the last 10 strokes and rounded to the nearest 5cm.
2.2.1 (Apr, 2011)-
* Fixed a few minor bugs in the data export area.
* Added average speed and pace fields to the detailed CSV data.
2.2.0 (Mar, 2011)-
This version adds:
* Map view of saved practices
* Video sync mode (see settings) for synchronizing the start of your practice with a video recording. Interval CSV data now includes the time offset from the synchronization point. This is helpful for creating videos with applications like Dashware.
* New CSV format for exporting practice summary data
App Store Reviews
SSRCGigrower, 5 stars:
Excellent rowing app. I race Cornish Pilot Gigs (crew of 6 plus cox) and I was worried it would not work so well as it does on sliding seat boats as the gigs dont have such a pronounced catch. By lowering the sensitivity setting I managed to get it to register each catch accurately and it has now become an excellent tool for club training. I have combined this app with a GoPro HD camera and DashWare software to calibrate the video with the SpeedCoach Mobile .csv logs to show real time speed, stroke rate, time and GPS location superimposed over the video. The app is expensive but considering the time put into the development and the relatively small market it is fairly priced. Strongly recommend downloading the free version to trial it first. Happy rowing....