Braille Writer lets you translate between Braille and Standard (Latin based script). It helps people around the world to communicate with people with visual disabilities. The app is a great tool for learning and teaching braille.
CUSTOM KEYBOARD Use a custom made Braille keyboard to convert text as you type. Switch the key cap symbols between Braille and Standard to be able to translate text both ways.
PASTE TO TRANSLATE Convert text by copying and pasting a piece of text into the app. It will and populate the app text fields.
EXPORT TO FILES Once you are ready with your text, you can export it as a TXT, PDF or RTF file and save it to iOS Files or send it to another app.
KEYBOARD EXTENSION The app includes a Braille keyboard extension - Braille keyboard that you can use in any app. To enable it, Go to: iOS Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Keyboards -> Add New Keyboard…
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions about the app, please contact the developer by going to http://nikolakirev.com or on Twitter @BrailleApp.
• More fonts for Standard Text added • Fixed a bug in the settings where you use the app for the first time (Sorry about that)
6.0 (Mar, 2014)-
• New: You can now choose fonts for braille and standard text. • New: Spelling out text and characters. • New: You can now paste text in the text fields and it will get transliterated to braille. • New: The app is now localized to Spanish, German, Russian and Czech. • New: You can now follow the app on Twitter (@BrailleApp). • Improvement: Better user interface. • Improvement: Better PDF export. • Support for 64-bit processors.
•NEW: The app will no longer interrupt you to ask for a review. However, leaving a review on the App Store will help a lot.
If you like the app, please consider writing a review on the App Store. It helps out a lot. Thanks!
5.1 (Sep, 2013)-
• Remastered User Interface - The user interface is even cleaner and more consistent. The new Braille Writer has a focus on content and usability. • Better Settings Menu with New Features • User Experience Improvements • Bug Fixes
5.0 (Aug, 2013)-
• The app has been redesigned. You now have more space to type and a great new keyboard. • Portrait mode! The app works in portrait mode on the iPhone and the iPad. (landscape mode for the iPhone will be back soon) • The texts can now be exported as .RTF format and exporting as .PDF has been optimised. • Bug fixes.
- Major user interface and user interaction redesign - You now have more screen space for the actual text you type - New gestures for clearing the text and moving around the text fields - New App Icon - You can now share the text you type to Twitter and Facebook - New Settings menus - Menus and labels of the app are now localised to Spanish
*in order to integrate the new features as well as future features, the app now requires iOS 6.0 or higher
* Bugs and crash fixes * To run this version of the app, your device needs to be updated to iOS 5 or higher version.
3.1 (Oct, 2012)-
• Optimised for iOS6 and the iPhone 5 display. • You can now send the text as a PDF document. • Fixed a crash when in the Settings menu on the iPad. • Animations optimisation. • When typing numbers the other buttons are now disabled instead of removed. • You can now rate the app from the Settings menu.
3.0 (Aug, 2012)-
Braille Writer v3.0 is a major update. - Braille Writer is now a universal application, so you can use it on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. - The keyboard is now QWERTY and is completely redesigned. - When using the app on an iPad, you can expand the standard or the braille text fields, or you can retract the keyboard and use all of the screen. - You can now share the output text as a text message. - There are now Settings and Info screens added to the app.
- "Pronunciation" sounds for letters and numbers.
- "Shake to clear text" feature.
- Slider control for adjusting the font size.
- Better graphics for some of the buttons.
App Store Reviews
Merli Ortega, 5 stars:
I love this app it's really amazing
TreyWJ, 4 stars:
Sara Hoover, 5 stars:
For the longest time I've always been interested in braille reading and writing. I found this app and decided to give it a shot; I'm glad I did. I love it! And the best part of it is that you can copy what you write & paste it to a status, message etc. and NONE of my friends know what it says. Again, I love this app!