A star app has never been more beautiful and easy to use. Just hold it to the sky to automatically find constellations, planets, satellites and more. It’s stargazing fun for all ages and experience levels!
“The perfect companion for helping you find the stars…” –Macworld
“Beautiful and informative…a treasure.” –Mac|Life
2014 Apple Design Award Winner
Is it a star or the planet Mars? Knowing what's up in your night sky is now effortless with Sky Guide. Hold your iPhone or iPad up and Sky Guide automatically aligns itself to the stars above you—no setup required!
Have you ever wished you could recognize the constellations but didn't want to study those paper star charts? Sky Guide's interactive experience makes learning your way around the sky intuitive and fun.
Whether you're in search of the constellation Virgo, the Andromeda Galaxy or the next big meteor shower, Sky Guide is jam-packed with information and rich graphics that will satisfy the most curious minds.
Voyage to the past or future with cinematic time controls. Know where the Moon will be later in the evening so you can capture that perfect photo. See what the sky looked like the moment you were born or be an eyewitness to history's greatest comets.
It's a star! It's a plane! No, it's a satellite! Sky Guide features hundreds of bright satellites for you to identify and track. You can also receive notifications whenever the International Space Station flies over your location.
Use Sky Guide anywhere—on your evening dog walk, camping trips or in the classroom. Sky Guide works with or without Wi-Fi, cellular service or GPS, so everything is at your fingertips no matter where you go.
- Apple Watch: Sky Guide can send you a notification when an event is about to happen in the skies above your location, like when the International Space Station is due to fly over. You can also keep tabs on the latest solar activity or add our super-accurate Moon Complication to your Apple Watch face.
- 3D Touch: Peek and Pop previews of articles from Search. Quick actions from home screen app icon.
- Notification Center Widget: At-a-glance essentials including rise and set times for the Sun, Moon and planets.
- Filter: X-ray the sky and explore invisible wonders (now enhanced with 3D Touch).
- Red night mode: Preserve your dark-adapted eyesight.
- Huge stellar catalog: 2.5 million stars!
- Sky Guide SUPERMASSIVE. This extensive add-on gives you access to incredible high definition zooming, 50× larger star and deep sky catalogs, and exclusive cinematic tours. SUPERMASSIVE includes a free two-week trial followed by an auto-renewing annual subscription. (See In-App Purchases section for the price available in your country. Payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your account settings after purchase.)
Join the millions who have discovered a more personal connection to the stars with Sky Guide. It might forever change the way you look up.
New feature: FILTER! Tap and hold to X-ray the sky. Explore invisible wonders like supernova remnants, black holes, the cosmic microwave background and more!
More languages! French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Traditional) and Chinese (Simplified).
Performance Improvements: decreased loading times and 64-bit optimizations (on supported devices).
3.0 (Dec, 2013)-
• Time-lapse has arrived! Swipe UP from the bottom edge to reveal new time controls. See satellites streak through the sky at 1,000X real-time. Turn it up to 30,000X to see beautiful, spinning star trails.* Go even faster to switch into day-stepping mode and you'll see the motions of the planets as they dance around the Sun. Use the date & time picker to witness past or future events.
• 64 bit support. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPad Air, and iPad Mini with Retina display.
• Realistic comets. We not only gave Comet ISON some company with the likes of Comet Hale-Bopp, Halley and more, but also accurately stylized them with beautifully dynamic coma and tails. Pro tip: use the new time controls to see comets evolve as they approach the Sun, or witness magnificent comets of the past!
• More deep sky goodies. We've DOUBLED the number of photographic articles for galaxies, nebulae and star clusters. Those who keep exploring will be rewarded.
• Improved Search: we made it easier to find things you might be looking for.
• Satellites: flyovers at night that are obscured by Earth's shadow are no longer listed in the article view.
• Added a location for the North Pole (listed under Geographic Points). The sky looks different here, especially in time-lapse mode!
• Various UI improvements
* Star trails are supported on devices running OpenGL ES 3.0 (iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad Mini w/ Retina display)
• Comet ISON: Added a trajectory plot and detailed article for the comet that may dazzle us later this year!
• Choose your own tunes: audio from outside the app now continues to play if you have unchecked the music setting in Sky Guide.
• Bug fixes and UI tweaks
2.0 (Sep, 2013)-
• iOS 7 support -New user interface with translucency on supported devices -Parallax for added depth in articles -Dynamic Type for custom font sizes • Red night mode (help preserve your dark-adapted eyesight) • Improved sky tracking: smoother, more responsive, more accurate • Over 250 visible satellites (An in-app purchase is also available to see fully illustrated articles with interesting histories and future flyover times for each satellite!) • Current planet magnitudes • Current Moon phase with percent illumination • Performance and UX improvements
Is that light moving across the sky the International Space Station, an old Soviet spy satellite, or a rocket stage leftover from the start of the space age? Sky Guide can now tell you which of the 150 brightest visible satellites you're seeing overhead! Each comes fully illustrated and contains historical mission details plus a list of upcoming flyovers. You can even chart the path of a satellite to see its current and future trajectory. Satellites are available as an In App Purchase.
We've also reduced memory usage (up to 35% less on some devices). Those with 4th generation iPod Touches should notice substantial stability improvements.
Lastly, we've added a subtle twinkling effect to stars for added realism and a new fade-to-focus animation for constellation artwork.
1.1 (May, 2013)-
• iPod Touch support! This has been our biggest request, and we're happy to have a version of Sky Guide that works on 4th and 5th generation iPod Touches. • Smoother sky tracking on iPhones • Fixed bugs in help system and added more topics • Stability improvements
1.0.1 (May, 2013)-
Polish and bug fixes - Adjustments to sound and music - Smoother rendering of sky labels - Stability improvements under iOS 5 - Improved consistency of user interface
Thanks for helping us continue to improve Sky Guide! Please contact us with any questions or feedback at email@example.com.
App Store Reviews
Pccreator, 5 stars:
They have made some updates recently that make it significantly better now including night mode which is waaaaaayyyy better on my eyes so i dont go blind at night. Woohoo! Also the gps and orientation stuff is significantly improved since i downloaded it. Also the satellite info is super awesome!! All in all this app has a ton of features and yet they set it up to customize what you want to see. Thank you for making this app!